Kensington Hospital is the 2nd oldest Hospital in the City of Philadelphia. It was founded in 1887 by Dr. Howard Atwood Kelly, an internationally renowned surgeon and medical pioneer. The Kelly forceps were named for Dr. Kelly because of his performance of abdominal surgeries widely thought to be impossible at the time. Dr. Kelly went on to be the Chief of OB/GYN at the newly formed Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Kensington Hospital was originally called “Kensington Hospital for Women” and treated diseases specific for women, fertility, delivery and pregnancy issues. Many babies were born at Kensington Hospital.
Kensington Hospital has been served the community for over 120 years and is the only bilingual/bicultural hospital in Philadelphia.